Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Planning Our Garden

I am so so excited to garden this year!  I'm not moving into a house with a two month old baby and planting season knocking on all doors, which is a big relief.  Now, our sweet baby to come is scheduled in July, but by then everything should be planted and we should (God willing) be reaping the fruit of our labor.

Before we begin planting we are hoping to build a few (four?) raised beds.  Last year we gardened in the back yard, but because our front yard is easiest to access and closest to the living room and kitchen, we tend to spend most of our time in the front yard.  Our neighbors have large cypress trees against the fence of our backyard and last year I found that those trees really prevented our garden from receiving adequate sunlight.  So, either we find a new spot in the back yard or we are off to garden in the front yard!

To start off the season (if we act quickly) we will plant spinach, potatoes, sweet peas, bell peppers, tomatoes, delicata squash (fabulously delicious) and possibly a bit more Swiss chard.

Come March or April we will plant cucumbers and okra. 

Okra, oh okra!  Something rings true in me when I see those stout tall stalks bearing fruit!  I could eat okra every day of the year.  I guess I'm a true Louisiana girl   :)  Last year our cucumbers did amazingly well despite my absolute and total neglect of the garden after one month.

For those of you in Louisiana, lsuagcenter.com has a wonderful Louisiana Vegetable Planting Guide
Just click on the LSU Ag website in the line above and it will bring you straight to the planting guide. 

Happy Gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! All conversation is welcomed, within good reason and kind intentions.