Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Warm Kitchen

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2010/04/13/GC_alton-brown-pumpkin-bread_s4x3_lg.jpg

Today Rita and I spent a large part of the day in the kitchen.  It was glorious!  We seeded and baked a whole pumpkin.  Go here to learn how that is done.  Rita had a ball gnawing on the small chunk of pumpkin that held the stem on top...mmmm...a sweet teething baby.  She is cutting her second top front tooth and it's a tough one!  We hope to make pumpkin bread a la Alton Brown, here, and maybe this delicious bread pudding, thank you Sandra Lee!

We also sliced and baked beets for later this week...I seriously considered starting beet kvass, but I'm just still not quite brave enough!  Beet kvass is a probiotic drink that is, from what I understand, along the lines of cod liver oil - great for you but not the tastiest thing on the block.  I'm really trying to move toward giving my body all the good bacteria I can make/purchase.

On a pan gently covered with a tea towel we have thyme, harvested from our herb garden, drying overnight and most likely all day tomorrow.  We have parsley leaves flash freezing (ok, probably overnight) and slices of fresh homegrown lemons frozen in freezer jars.

There are  pumpkin seeds sprouting in a shallow pan of water over the next day or so...although I may end-up toasting some for a good crunchy snack!

And finally we cooked-up a delicious chicken broth that will be used for lots of tasty foods...including chicken pot pie!  A favorite Autumn food in our home.

And here I am now, with a sleeping baby in my lap and a warm cup of tea made by my loving husband...God has blessed me immensely.

Have you been busy in your kitchen?
We welcome your comments :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! All conversation is welcomed, within good reason and kind intentions.