Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Adapting Paula Deen's Amazing Pie Crust

I LOVE baking pies.

You saw a peek at the chicken pot pie I made over the weekend. Just wanted to share my pie crust recipe that is mostly from the one and only Paula Deen!

If you find me on Pinterest (I'm "Suzette" and I am sporadically active) you can see her recipe on my recipe board...but in the meantime here it is!

Ingredients:
• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (we like King Arthur-no affiliation just our opinion)
• 1/4 TEAspoon fine salt (not chunky sea salt)
• *OMIT SUGAR
• 1/4 cup coconut oil (not shortening. I PROMISE it will be more rich and flaky)
• 12 TABLEspoons of cold/frozen butter cubed
• 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice cold water

1. Combine flour and salt lightly (or sift)

2. Add coconut oil and work in with hands for only about five or 10 seconds

3. Add frozen/cold butter and work with hands until roughly combined and butter is a little broken (but can still be chunky)

4. Add cold (colder the better) water a little at a time until dough comes together in a ball - You want the dough more firm than gloopy

5. Separate ball into two halves (I do more of a 40-60 than a 50-50 separation because I like a thick bottom crust)

6. Flatten into thick disks

7. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes

8. Gently roll-out dough (on a lightly floured surface) for a delicious pie crust!

How do you make pie crusts? Are you a pie lover?

Have a happy Monday!

Be sure to hit "subscribe by email" when you comment so that any replies go straight back to you!

Including a picture of our precious baby...at only one month! How time flies! He is now two months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad to hear from you! All conversation is welcomed, within good reason and kind intentions.