Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins

So sorry that I vacationed from posting yesterday!  We had a beautiful Memorial Day, remembering those brave and selfless persons who have passed on in service to this great (though a bit distressed) nation.  


A sweet friend of mine, who is one of the greatest cooks, bakers and entertainers that I know recently shared a copy of the April/May 2012 Cook's Country magazine.  Inside I found a delicious recipe that has quickly become a much loved breakfast around here!  The author, Nick Iverson, expressed that "anything that I make before 8 a.m. must meet [the] criterion [of]: ease."  Well, Amen!  This man is totally on the same brain wave as this girl.


So, here we go - let's see if I can get this out before Rita finishes her grape and banana medley! (Ha! Was I kidding myself?  At least it's before noon!)


Attention: This is NOT my own recipe, just one that is so worth sharing.  My anecdotal notes are in parenthesis.  I did make a few changes, and to follow those see my notes.  Also, I broke the steps down into I'm-a-momma-with-a-toddler-and-am-quickly-glancing-at-this-as-my-child-runs-around-nearly-unsupervised-because-I'm-determined-to-bake-a-breakfast-treat-for-my-husband steps.  Hoping this format works for your lifestyle too!  


LEMON-POPPY SEED MUFFIN RECIPE
Cook's Country
April/May 2012
Nick Iverson
Page 19, yellow sidebar


A most wonderful breakfast that doesn't take terribly long!


INGREDIENTS

Yields 12 muffins (We managed to get 14 somehow - great by me!)

Dry

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar (I used 1/2 cup of honey and 1/2 cup sugar because we try to reduce our intake of granulated white sugar - and the 1/4 is for a sugar glaze, which I choose not to use)
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Wet

  • 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
  • 2 large eggs (let sit at room temp at least 30 min before putting into recipe - great trip from my home ec momma)
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (I only used 1/4 teaspoon, being unsure off how Rita would like a strong lemon taste; don't skimp on this - unless you want a hint of lemon rather than a flavor of lemon)
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice - two large lemons (or three small ones - meant for the glaze but I used as a substitute since I reduced the amount of zest so dramatically and wasn't making the glaze)
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled (if you only have salted butter, you can reduce the amount of salt called for - maybe to 1/4 teaspoon salt? Check into that - I know Paula Deen has talked about that in one episode or another - P.S. We don't have cable since we've moved into our house, but just calling upon pre-baby knowledge gleaned from free cable in married housing on campus!)

FOR THE MUFFINS
1. Prep

  • Put oven rack into middle position
  • Heat oven to 375F
  • Grease 12-cup muffin tin (use leftover butter wrappers - work like a charm - great frugal tip from my deceased grandmother, mother to seven!)
2. Whisk together in a large bowl
  • flour
  • one cup of sugar (if you decided to use honey it will come into play in step three)
  • poppy seeds
  • baking powder
  • baking soda
  • salt
3. In a separate bowl whisk together
  • yogurt
  • eggs
  • lemon zest
  • lemon juice (meant for glaze - see note at ingredient list above!!)
  • honey (if using as a substitute for sugar)
4. Fold yogurt mix into flour mixture with rubber spatula until just combined

5. Fold in melted butter (mine had a few small chunks that had hardened, but that didn't seem to make a difference) 
AT THIS POINT THE BATTER CAN BE REFRIGERATED IN A COVERED CONTAINER FOR UP TO 24 HOURS

6. Use a greased 1/3 cup measure to disperse batter into muffin tin

7. Bake 25 - 30 minutes, rotate pan halfway through baking

FOR THE GLAZE

1. Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan

2. Cook over medium heat until syrupy consistency, roughly three minutes

3. Let muffins cool five minutes in muffin tin

4. Put muffins to cool further on a wire rack

5. Brush with glaze and serve 10 minutes later

BON APPETIT MES AMIS!


So formatting with Blogger has been so weird lately - not sure if it's me or them, but hoping it is resolved soon!  Sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks!! They are. Planning to make a batch this weekend - just got to get my homemade yogurt done tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad to hear from you! All conversation is welcomed, within good reason and kind intentions.