We didn't have everything exactly and I knew that incorporating oats was not an option for Rita, so the following recipe is a nice twist on the recipe I received. The original comes from Sol y Luna Bakery. Click HERE for the recipe they emailed me.
Let me say, Tyler commented how quickly I put these together (exciting for both of us!), asked for them on numerous occasions and I think these have become a staple for our freezer. We love yummy breakfast bars!
1 stick of butter (1/4 lb)
1/2 - 3/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 - 2 cups fruit of your choice
Time to Bake:
- Grease a 9x9 pan with yummy butter
- Preheat your oven to 325/350F (325 for glass)
- Mash berries in a separate bowl and set aside for later
- Cream butter and brown sugar (by hand or with mixer - if by hand make sure butter is at room temp)
- Add flour and baking soda and stir until totally incorporated
- Stir in coconut and water by hand
- Press a little less than half of batter into pan (slightly messy, don't seek perfection here)
- Lay (again, messy) mashed berries over batter in pan (spread evenly as possible)
- Add top layer of batter (use remaining batter)
- Bake 30 minutes (or until lightly golden brown on top)
- Pull out yogurt to top your bars with, juice, plates, cups and gather the hungry folk in your home
- Remove and slice after 20 minutes (or just slightly warm to touch - so worth the wait!)
Sorry there are no pictures! Rita has made packing an interesting adventure. She is currently putting a block in the glass of water on my nightstand...fun right?